Revealing Radiant Eyes: What To Expect After Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery)?
Embarking on your blepharoplasty journey with Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group can lead to remarkable transformations and rejuvenated eyes. To ensure optimal outcomes, it’s crucial for our patients in Dubai to understand the recovery process, follow diligent aftercare routines, and embrace the remarkable results.
Although, it is no secret that individual healing rates and responses to any procedure may differ, and recovery can vary from person to person. No patient should ever undergo eyelid surgery, or any procedure, for that matter, without the faintest idea what actually happens post-surgery.
Let’s delve into the general recovery timeline following your blepharoplasty surgery with Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER SURGERY:
- Depending on the extent of the eyelid procedure, you may be discharged on the same day and continue resting at the comfort of your own home. Some patients may stay at the hospital overnight.
- During the first week, you can expect swelling, bruising, and some discomfort around the eyes.
- Cool, not cold, compresses and prescribed pain medications can help manage swelling and discomfort.
- You should relax and not engage in stressful activities. Keep your head elevated while resting or sleeping to minimize swelling.
- At Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group, Specialist Nurses will call you every day to see how you are doing. It is important to follow all postoperative care instruction, including proper wound care and medication administration.
ONE TO TWO WEEKS:
- Your first post-op visit will be scheduled during this period after surgery. At this time, the stitches are removed and your initial healing will be assessed.
- You may be advised to wear sunglasses when outdoors as your eyes will be sensitive to sunlight and to protect your scars.
- Swelling and bruising will also gradually subside at this time.
THREE TO FOUR WEEKS:
- Continue wearing sunglasses when outdoors to protect your eyes and scars.
- Walking is essential every day! This prevents the formation of blood clots.
- At this stage, most patients are able to resume light activities and return to work after two weeks, depending on individual healing. However, heavy lifting, exercise, or strenuous activity must be avoided to prevent complications.
- Sleeping on your back is the best way to go. Sleeping positions that may put pressure on your eyes should be avoided at this stage.
- Another post-operative appointment will be scheduled at 4-6 weeks’ time to show you how to gently massage your incision areas and aid healing.
- No matter how you want to show off your rejuvenated and refreshed look following an eyelid surgery, sun holidays must be avoided during this period.
ONE TO THREE MONTHS:
- By this time, the majority of swelling and bruising should have resolved, and your eyelids will appear more natural and refreshed.
- You may also ease into your regular fitness routine at this time. However, ball and contact sports should be avoided up to 6 months.
- It’s essential to protect your eyes from excessive sunlight and wear sunglasses when outdoors for up to 1 year.
- At 3 months, our team at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group will schedule another appointment with your surgeon to assess your progress and ensure optimal healing.
LONG TERM RESULTS:
- The final results of blepharoplasty may take several months to fully manifest.
- After your last follow-up appointment, you can expect for your eyes to have almost or completely settled, for some patients, it may take longer, especially for the scars to fade into fine lines.
- You will notice a significant improvement in the appearance of your eyelids, with a more youthful and rejuvenated look.
- And finally, it’s always important to note that the results of blepharoplasty are typically long-lasting, but it’s important to maintain a healthy lifestyle and skincare routine to preserve the outcome.
Remember that these are only general guidelines, and individual recovery experiences may vary. It’s important to follow your surgeon’s specific postoperative care instructions and attend all recommended follow-up appointments to ensure a smooth recovery and achieve the best possible results.For information about eyelid surgery and/or eye bag removal in general please visit our Blepharoplasty (Eyelid surgery) Procedure Page.