Line & Wrinkle Smoothing
BOTOX Injections in Dubai
Botox and Dysport are used medically to treat certain muscular conditions and cosmetically to temporarily relax wrinkle-causing muscles thereby softening and preventing the development of expression lines, creating a smooth and rejuvenated appearance.
Both Botox and Dysport are brand names of a highly purified protein derived from Botulinum Toxin A. Botox is the original and best-known brand name and the most tested product on the market. It is the result of many decades of studies and has been used extensively in medicine. It is the safest product, and it is certified in the medical and cosmetic field.
Unlike Dermal Filler treatments that work by plumping up the skin or literally filling up lines, Botox and Dysport target the facial muscles that are causing dynamic or expression wrinkles to form. They work by blocking the nerve impulses to the muscle. As a result, the muscle relaxes and can’t contract, significantly reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles on the skin above the treated muscle, producing a more youthful and overall smoother appearance.
This blocking effect on the nerves usually lasts an average of 3 to 6 months, at which time the muscle regains movement and wrinkles reappear.
Who is suitable for Botox® / Dysport Treatment?
- Women and men who want to eliminate frown lines or brow lines and furrows.
- Women and men who are not yet ready for face lifts or other cosmetic and plastic surgeries to improve their appearance.
- Women and men who want a simple and fast procedure to eliminate wrinkles with little downtime and recovery.
- Women and men who suffer from excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis).
How is Botox® / Dysport treatment performed?
Prior to initial treatment, a thorough consultation with a qualified and experienced practitioner is necessary, during which you will be assessed and the procedure, including possible risks, complications and after care, should be discussed with you and all your questions answered. You should only proceed with treatment if you have the right indications (i.e. is totally appropriate in your particular circumstances) and fully understand all aspects of it.
The treatment is carried out by injecting a small amount of the product into the area(s) to be treated using a very fine needle. Because the needle is so fine and only a small amount of liquid is used, the pain associated with the injections is minimal.
Following the treatment
Following the procedure, you may experience minor temporary side effects such as localised inflammation, including redness, swelling, heat and small lumps at the treatment site. These symptoms are rare and will usually subside within a couple of days. There is also the potential for minor bruising at the treatment site, which is usually easily concealed with makeup.
Risks & Complications
Provided the treatment is carried out by a suitably qualified and experienced practitioner, associated complications are relatively rare.
In some cases it can cause a temporary weakness of nearby muscles or drooping of an eyelid. The risk of any side effects depends on the muscles injected. Because Botox® and Dysport injections are completely reversible, any side effects related to excessive weakness are temporary, lasting only days or weeks.
For further information concerning the risks and complications associated with Botox®/Dysport please refer to Risks and Complications of BOTOX®/DYSPORT
How long will the results of your BOTOX® treatment last?
The effects of Botox and Dysport injections wear off naturally over time. Results of the treatment will typically become visible within 4 to 7 days, however it can take up to two weeks to obtain the optimum result. Also, depending on a person’s lifestyle and how their muscles react to the treatment, the effects of treatment may last from 3 to 6 months and the treatment should not be repeated more than two or a maximum of three times per year. You should allow for your muscles to gain full movement before repeating the treatment.
Advice from Dr Allen Rezai on What you should know about Botox & Dysport Injections
- Aesthetic use of muscle relaxing injections has only been approved to treat the upper part of the face: areas such as the forehead, to treat horizontal wrinkles, the glabella in between the eyes, and the lateral sides of the eye to treat crow’s feet wrinkles. Some providers use Botox and Dysport in other areas of the face but these are considered to be “off-label” use.
- Botox & Dysport are also proven to be effective in the reduction of Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and for Migraine
- Units vs. Area – In the US, Botox & Dysport treatments are charged per unit and in the UK by area, where the frown lines are considered one area, the forehead a second area and crow’s feet a third area. A reduced rate is often given when treating multiple areas.
- Thoroughly research your Practitioner/Clinic. Word of mouth and recommendations from people you know are usually the most reliable guide.
- Treatment should be carried out in a medical setting using sterile needles and syringes.
- Beware of Cheap Botox/Dysport providers. Cheap Botox/Dysport usually comes at a price. It usually means it is counterfeit, diluted, or administered by an inexperienced, non-qualified practitioner.
- Injectable treatments should only be carried out in a clean, safe and appropriate clinical environment to avoid infection and permanent physical damage. Treatments should be carried out in a clinical facility and NOT in a home setting or, for example, a nail bar or tattoo parlour.
- A good practitioner will have a through initial consultation with you, check your medical history, listen to your concerns, cover all aspects of the procedure, including possible risks and complications, and provide you with a bespoke treatment plan to achieve the best possible outcome. You should always be given enough time to make an informed decision and you should NEVER feel rushed.
- Typically, patients will come into the clinic and point to a specific line that they don’t like. Good practitioners shouldn’t just look at treating this specific line, but will look beyond the line at how the face looks as a whole, as treating just one individual line might make the face look unnatural or create new lines in nearby areas.
- Avoid the “Frozen look”. You should not lose the ability to show expression when you are treated by someone who is licensed, trained, and a medical expert in facial anatomy.
- Excessive and frequent use of muscle relaxing injections may cause long term complications such as heavy and drooping upper face, hence it is strongly recommended that you limit your muscle relaxing injection treatments to 2, maximum 3, per year and only if there is the right indication present for the latter.
- Aim for Natural Results. Treatment should be adapted to the individual patient’s need to achieve a subtle, natural look which softens the lines and wrinkles, producing a more youthful and overall smoother appearance yet still permits normal facial movement.
- Aftercare is an important aspect of any treatment. You should always ask the practitioner about the aftercare provided, especially if anything were to go wrong.
- Never feel pressured into undergoing a treatment without fully understanding all the implications.