Restoring Youthful Radiance of the Eyes
A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO EYELID SURGERY IN DUBAI
In recent years, Blepharoplasty or Eyelid Surgery, has gained significant popularity as a cosmetic procedure aimed at enhancing the aesthetic appearance of the eyes. With ageing, our skin naturally lose its elasticity and the muscles in our face weakens. This results to sagging of the upper eyelid or making the under eyebags more pronounced. Blepharoplasty helps restore a more alert and youthful appearance of the eyes through a holistic yet conservative approach of removing the excess skin and fat.
Before undergoing eyelid surgery or eye bag removal, it is important that patient thoroughly understand the procedure, recovery, and the outcome. In this article, we will walk you through the essential aspects of eyelid surgery, from the best candidates for the procedure to common indications, surgical techniques, and post-operative care. It should be noted that the following should not replace a detailed and thorough consultation with a board-certified and fully qualified plastic surgeon.
Best Candidates for Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery is suitable for individuals who have concerns such as sagging or drooping eyelids, excess skin or fat deposits, puffy bags under the eyes, or a tired appearance due to ageing. It is crucial that candidates are in overall good health, have realistic expectations, and understand the potential risks and limitations associated with the procedure.
Indications for Eyelid Surgery
- Ageing: The natural ageing process results in the loss of skin elasticity, weakened muscles and pronounced fat pads, leading to sagging upper and lower eyelids. Blepharoplasty effectively addresses these concerns, restoring a rejuvenated and youthful appearance.
- Genetics: Some individuals may have naturally inherited eyelids with excess skin, fat, or a combination of both. Eyelid surgery can offer corrective solutions by sculpting the eyelids to achieve a more harmonious facial profile.
- Medical Reasons: In certain cases, eyelid surgery may be performed for medical reasons, such as ptosis (drooping upper eyelids that obstruct vision), ectropion (outward-turning lower eyelids), or entropion (inward-turning lower eyelids).
Eyelid Surgery Techniques
- Upper Eyelid Surgery: This procedure involves incisions along the natural crease of the upper eyelid, through which excess tissue, fat, and skin are carefully removed or repositioned to achieve a more youthful appearance.
- Lower Eyelid Surgery: Depending on the specific needs of the patient, lower eyelid surgery may involve one of two techniques: traditional incision or transconjunctival incision. The traditional method involves an incision just below the lower lash line, while the transconjunctival approach is employed for patients without excess skin and involves an incision inside the lower eyelid.
- Fat Repositioning: To restore volume and reduce the hollow appearance around the eyes, fat repositioning can be performed in conjunction with eyelid surgery. Excess fat can be repositioned or redistributed to create a more youthful contour.
- Following your initial thorough assessment at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group, Dr. Allen Rezai will provide you with an individualised treatment plan, discuss your options that would best address your concerns and achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Following eyelid surgery, proper aftercare is essential to ensure optimal healing and minimise potential complications. Specific instructions may vary depending on the surgical technique used, but general guidelines typically include:
- Cold compresses to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Keeping the head elevated while resting to assist with the reduction of swelling.
- Avoiding strenuous activities and heavy lifting for a recommended period.
- Using prescribed eye drops or ointments to prevent dryness or irritation.
- Attending follow-up appointments to monitor healing progress and remove sutures, if required.
Eyelid surgery, a transformative cosmetic procedure, addresses various aesthetic concerns related to ageing, genetics, or medical conditions. Understanding the best candidates, indications, surgical techniques, and post-operative care is crucial for anyone considering this procedure, ensuring a successful and satisfying outcome.
Schedule an initial thorough consultation at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group together with our Senior Consultant, Plastic, Aesthetic, and Reconstructive Surgeon, Dr. Allen Rezai to determine your suitability for this procedure and create a tailored plan that would help achieve the optimal outcome for you.
For information about eyelid surgery and/or eye bag removal in general please visit: Blepharoplasty / Eyelid Surgery.