By Dr Allen Rezai MD, founder of Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group, Dubai, UAE, and one of UK’s leading specialists in Breast Surgery.
Breast Uplift, also known as Mastopexy, removes excess sagging skin in order to lift, reshape and firm the breast, and hence produce a more youthful breast contour.
Many women are dissatisfied with the shape or pertness of their breasts. A significant number of women find their breasts change as they develop through the various stages of life. Often, their breasts would originally have been relatively firm or pert, but whether through significant weight loss, the after effects of a pregnancy, or the effects of gravity and age, the size, shape or pertness of the breast alters, leaving a droopy or a deflated appearance.
Whilst not strictly an accurate example, a good way of understanding the problem is to imagine that a woman who initially has a B-cup sized breast, over the years, perhaps after the birth of a child, she still has a B–cup sized breast, but owing to the stretching of the skin, to accommodate milk and weight increase during pregnancy that B-cup breast now resides in a C or D-cup sized pocket of skin (the skin has been stretched in effect).
Understandably, this change can be disheartening. As a result of the dissatisfaction with the appearance of their breasts, many women request surgery to improve the overall pertness, firmness, and size and shape of their breasts. However, it is important to understand that it is not possible to recreate or repair the fibrous bands that originally held the breast in place (once they have been stretched). Like springs that have been over-stretched, once they have been pulled too far, they lose their ability to recoil. Consequently the only surgical option is to excise the excess skin and/or to insert implants in order to simultaneously increase the size of the breast. Breast Uplift with implants, also known as Augmented Mastopexy results in a breast that looks bigger, more youthful and generally feels firmer.
Who is suitable for breast uplift / breast uplift with implants?
- Women who are happy with the size of their breasts, but who consider them to be droopy or pendulous
- Women who consider their breasts to be both too small and too saggyAs with most surgical procedures, there are many options, depending upon the patient’s wishes, technical considerations and surgeon preferences. Essentially there are three incision types:-
- Around the areola
- Around the areola and vertical running from the areola to the breast crease
- Around the areola and vertical running from the areola to the breast crease then it continueshorizontally along that crease.Breast uplift is usually performed under general anaesthetics and may take anywhere between sixty to ninety minutes, depending on how experienced the plastic surgeon is. In principle the procedure consists of the following:
- Excising the surplus skin
- Remodelling the breast tissue into a more attractive shape
- Repositioning the nipple / areola complex to a higher level, so that he nipple lies at the point of the newly tightened breasts
• Reshaping or reducing the areola in size
• Increasing the size of the breast by use of an implant if the woman also considers
her breasts to be too small
Following the operation the breasts are likely to be swollen and most women feel bruised and sore. Most surgeons recommend wearing a support bra for about four weeks after the surgery and most women are able to fully resume normal activity within three to four weeks.
As with all scars, the scars will fade over a period of time. In many women, they heal to form very faint white lines. However, it is important to remember that no surgical scar ever totally disappears.
Although cosmetic surgery is amongst the very safest of medical procedures it is important to understand and accept that no surgical procedure is absolutely free from risk and the surgeon should explain these possible risks and complication in detail during the initial consultation.
For the great majority of women, the results of their breast uplift last for many years. Certainly until an age where the woman would not wish for any further minor corrections, however the following factors may reduce this period:-
- Women with larger heavier breasts tend to sag again somewhat earlier
- Women who opt for larger implants
- Women who gain significant amounts of weight following surgery
- Women who become pregnant may get significantly larger breasts that sag againDr Rezai advocates a natural appearance, one in which the breasts look, feel, and move naturally. At Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group we employ the shortest scars and least invasive approaches possible in order to achieve the best possible result.Meeting up with a consultant plastic surgeon before you actually decide to undergo surgery is the preferred route for many reasons, not least amongst which is that you can avoid having any unrealistic expectations of the outcome of your operation.At your first meeting with an Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group Consultant you will be able to:
- Discuss your needs and wishes in absolute detail
- Decide whether the operation you are considering is right for you
- Learn from your consultant what is achievable and, importantly, not achievable for you depending upon your precise circumstances. i.e. the likely outcome of your operation
- Discuss any concerns you might have about your operation
- Discuss the potential for any side-effects or complications related to your procedure
- View before and after photos of patients who have undergone a similar procedure
- Learn how you will need to prepare for your operation and what will happen afterwards
- Form an opinion as to whether your Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group consultant is the right surgeon for you (the importance of feeling comfortable with your surgeon should not be overlooked)
- With many pre-operative consultations, a second meeting will ensure you and the surgeon have similar aims and expectations and you are fully aware of the implications of surgery. It will give you another opportunity to ask any questions you may have forgotten at the first meeting.Exceptional surgical results are paramount in our practice, so is maintaining the highest of professional standards and safety. We believe not only in educating each one of our patients as to what is available and appropriate, but also in formulating a customized plan for each person. Everyone has a slightly different physical anatomy, different lifestyles, goals, personal circumstances, and differing viewpoints about plastic surgery. We believe that a truly successful result is not only achieving technical perfection, but also achieving the result that best fits your needs and desires.