Breast Augmentation also known as augmentation mammaplasty, or breast implant surgery, involves placing an artificial implant into the breast so as to add more volume and also an element of uplift where necessary.
Women opt for this procedure to:
- Feel more feminine
- Bring harmony and proprotion to their body
- Correct assymetry
Ideal Candidates are:
- Those who have developed only small breasts
- Those in whom either one or both breasts have failed to develop
- Those whose breasts have reduced in size following weight loss
- Those whose breasts have reduced in size following breast-feeding
- Those who have lost a breast through cancer or other disease
What to consider at this stage
Before meeting with your surgeon it is important to consider what you would like to achieve from your breast enlargement surgery. Particularly, how large you want your breasts to be. There are several technical considerations to be taken into account by the surgeon in determining the size of implant to be used. However the objective should always be to create a realistic end result in harmony with a woman’s figure and build.
- The operation is typically carried out under general anaesthetic
- The operation takes approximately 30 to 40 minutes
- The majority of patients stay in hospital for 1 night
- If you are involved in non-physical work, you can expect to return to work after 1 week
- You can anticipate returning to normal physical exercise within 4 to 6 weeks
As with the majority of surgical procedures, many options can be considered. These depend upon the wishes of the patient, technical considerations and preferences of the surgeon.
At your consultation, your plastic surgeon will provide you with advice upon the best options for you, taking all known factors into account.
With regard to introducing the breast implant, there are essentially 3 possible types of incision:
- Around the lower half of the areola
- In the natural crease under the breast
- Through the armpit (axilla)
Having made the incision, four types of pockets can be used for implant placement. The two main types are:
- Between the breast tissue and the pectoral muscle lying over the ribs, or
- Between the pectoral muscle and the ribs
Implants today are available in silicone gel or saline fluid. In both of these types the shell of the implants are made of a solid silicone. In general, silicone implants have a superior look and feel in the body. At Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group we use only the highest quality, top of the range breast implants.
Following the operation
As with all types of surgery, you should expect to feel bruised and sore following your operation. Your breasts are also likely to be swollen. You might also be requested to sleep on your back and to avoid strenuous activities and bending for a few weeks. You will also have to wear a support bra. Most patients can return to normal activity within 3 to 4 weeks.
As is normal with all scars, they will fade over a period of time. They will typically heal to form very faint white lines. However, it is important to remember that no surgical scar will ever disappear in its entirety.
Risks & Complications
It should be understood and accepted by all patients that no surgical procedure is totally risk-free. For information about the potential risks and complications associated with Breast Augmentation, please refer to Risks and Complications of Breast Augmentation. At your consultation, your surgeon will discuss these risks with you.
Please also note that breast enlargement typically does not interfere with breast-feeding.
How long will the results last?
For the majority of patients, the results of their breast enlargement operation is longlasting. However, women who choose bigger implants not in proprotion to their body may find that their breasts sag somewhat more as they become older.
It is important to understand that breast augmentation is not a one time surgery as breast implants of any type are not considered lifetime devices and cannot be expected to last forever. You may require future surgery for implant replacement or removal. For these reasons periodical breast enlargement reviews are highly recommended. You will be advised on this by your surgeon.